Friday, October 3, 2008

Waves and Margaritas



A quick story from the beach. I've always loved the ocean and being at the beach is usually a very restful and spiritual experience for me. But it's truly been years since I waded out past my knees and really got into the water.


When I was younger (ahem) I used to love to Boogie Board and body surf. But with age and a fear of sharks, I stopped going out into the deeper water. NOT THIS TIME!!!


We went to Walmart and bought Loryn a pink boogie board. She had great fun with it riding the smaller part of the waves near shore. So I decided to give it a try. San Onofre Beach is known for being a surfing destination and having pretty decent waves. At first I was a little apprehensive and also rode the smaller waves near shore. But I was having such a great time that I decided to venture further out into the break water.


WOW! Am I ever glad I did. I was hoopin' and hollerin' nad having so much fun! There I was, 43 and fat and hanging out with a bunch of 11 year old boys. Funny though, after catching a few big waves and sucking down some ocean - I decided that all that salt water was making me crave a Margarita! So I wandered back to camp and made a jug of margaritas to take back to the beach.


Let me tell you - tequila and lime never tasted soooo good! After downing several I made my way back out to the break water. In the meantime the surf was getting larger and I felt very brave thanks to my newfound tequila confidence! HOLY SHIT! I was paddling after some fairly large waves and was having the time of my life. I ate it hard a few times, but didn't really care. It was the most fun I've had in years.

2 comments:

Rita said...

I think you didn't care that you ate it hard because you were properly anesthetized from the tequila. I lurve me some MaragaRITAs

School.....just go and DO IT!! One class at a time because you know what. The time is going to pass by anyway so you might as well be working towards it. I will be in my mid 40s by the time i finish school (including Law School) but I am doing it. So should you.

Angela said...

Ha! One of the best times I had in FL is when my cousin, 20 yrs my senior, and I went to Daytona and road the waves in on makeshift boogie boards, i.e. pool rafts. So much fun.