Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fried tofu chunks

Made chinese dinner for family last night. Sweet & Chicken, Spicey Garlic Chicken, brown rice, jasmine rice, veggie egg rolls, and Spicey Garlic Tofu Chunks. mmmmmm!

So first I sliced the tofu into slabs about 1/2" thick and let them drain on paper towel. Then I cut those into about 1/2 - 1" chunks and rolled them in some cornstarch and seasoning. That got tossed in a pan with olive oil and was sauteed until crispy. Then the spicey garlic sauce was added with some water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.

Overall? meh, still not a big fan of the replacement meat type products. I didn't mind the tofu. I think part of the issue was I didn't really like the sauce I used. It was store bought and if I had put forth more effort to make something homemade and less sugary it might have been better. I ended up eating 2 chunks of the spicey garlic chicken.

I'll do this again, but I'll make a homemade lemon sauce or spicey orange sauce. I still haven't ventured into the tempeh or seitan territory. And no "not"dogs for me yet!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried baking the tofu? Nice and crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Good Stuff.

Angela said...

I tried the "not" dogs a few months ago. My cousin was raving about them. I cooked it, put it in the bun, brought it to my lips, and the smell was so foul I had to throw it away.

Rita said...

hah, maybe it is because I have been doing the "transition" for awhile.

The not dogs aren't bad, to me anyway.

I will try to bake it next time.

Patty said...

Yeah, I agree with Rita. I think it's too soon for you to be trying the meat subs. I waited probably a year or more after becoming veg before I tried them (after the first icky time I tried them), and I always loved meat!

I wouldn't really suggest tempeh if you want a "meaty" experience. Seitan is my new god! But I make it myself. OMG, it is SO freaking amazing!

Evilsharon said...

If I go for the tofu dogs I slather them in chili and cheese. That's just how I liked the meat ones though.